1796

Originaire de Portet, la famille Gaubert, au cours du XVIII ème siècle, fait fortune dans le commerce et l’armement des navires. Vers 1796, le négociant Gaubert souhaite agrandir sa maison champêtre et en faire une importance exploitation viticole. Il en confie les travaux à l’architecte Gabriel Durand, collaborateur de Victor Louis, qui dirigea la construction du Grand Théâtre de Bordeaux. Durand conserve la construction originelle – également du XVIII ème siècle – l’agrandit et aménage un parc dans lequel il édifie un vaste ensemble de dépendances destinées à assurer la marche du domaine.

 

1992

This residence in the centre of Portets could easily have been demolished to build housing estates. Fortunately for the village and the Graves region, its inclusion on the French supplementary historic monument list and its purchase by Dominique Haverlan in 1988 enabled the building to be preserved and the vineyard to be restored.

2004

 

The Pessac-Léognan vineyard was established in 2004 with the leasing of Château Pontet Caillou, located next to Domaine de Chevalier’s vines. Its creation was the result of a fortunate encounter between Dominique Haverlan, an enterprising winegrower, and Francis Dumigron, a forester, who wanted to establish a vineyard in the Pessac-Léognan AOC on a plot of pine forest decimated by the 1999 storms.

 

2010

In 2010, Dominique Haverlan acquired a new estate called Château Haut Pommarède, going on to renovate the building and replant the vineyard over subsequent years.

2011

 In 2011, Dominique Haverlan took over running Montesquieu'svineyard (Château de la Brède) with great pride.

He now delights in investing in this vineyard and in showing the utmost respect for this magnificient , historic site.

The model farm, Montesquieu’s ‘menagerie’ that he built with his son towards the end of his life, is now where Château de la Brède wine is matured and offered to the public.